Every Michigan Medicine employee has at least two primary passwords: a Level 1 and Level 2, here you can find more information on accessing and changing your accounts and passwords.
Different Levels of Passwords
Every Michigan Medicine employee has at least two primary passwords:
- Your Level 1 (U-M) password is for accessing administrative resources and employee services on the U-M computer system. This password is sometimes referred to as your Kerberos password.
- Your Level 2 password allows access to Michigan Medicine's clinical, administrative and other online resources. Typically, Michigan Medicine employees use their Level 2 password on an everyday basis.
Passwords / Passcodes
Your Uniqname identity and a password credential determine whether you may access particular Michigan Medicine services and applications. Though the Level 2 password accesses most Michigan Medicine applications, you may have additional passwords for other systems, databases or files.
These measures ensure that only authorized users can gain access to UMHS online information such as patient care data — also called electronic protected health information (ePHI).
Authorization often depends on your job role and to what extent access to ePHI is necessary.
Please note: Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) has the means to track and audit your access to files and to identify your activity within them.
Because it is so important to keep patient information secure, employees are responsible for safeguarding ePHI. Maintaining password security is an especially effective way to do this.
The Safe Computing website offers more details and information about employee and institutional responsibilities surrounding the protection of patient care information.
Please note: Patient care information is the property of the patient. UMHS is the steward or caretaker of the information and owner of the method used to store it.
Updating Your Password
HITS requires you to change your passwords at least once a year.
To change your Level 2 (Michigan Medicine) or Level 1 (U-M) password, go to lvl2.med.umich.edu.
Set Up, Unlock, or Change Your Password Online
You can change your own Level 1 or Level 2 passwords online using our self-service tool. Using this tool, you can:
- Set Level 1 and Level 2 passwords for the first time;
- Unlock a Level 2 account or reset a forgotten Level 2 password;
- Update a Michigan Medicine user profile or reset Level 1 / Level 2 passwords.
Think of resetting your passwords as similar to a clinician washing hands between patient encounters. It's simple, it's effective, and it can prevent potential problems.
Passcodes on Mobile Devices
To see the password (passcode) requirements for mobile devices that have access to Michigan Medicine services, read more about AirWatch.