A free tool to simplify research data collection, data management, and workflows.
What is the Electronic Research Notebook (ERN)?
The ERN offers researchers the benefits, efficiencies, security, and long-term cost savings of a centralized, paperless data storage. Users can manage their labs efficiently, protect intellectual property, secure collaboration, and easily track samples.
The ERN aids researchers accomplish the following:
- Create, manage, and access data and lab records across any platform
- Selectively assign access to multiple users
- Link to data from other locations such as U-M Box
- Track activity of every lab member
- Digital signing and date stamps to protect intellectual property
- Retaining document versions for convenient access to a full history
- Promoting secure and easy collaboration within and outside the University
Other benefits include:
- Cloud-based storage accessible from anywhere where Internet access is available
- Easily managed, unlimited data storage that is safe from loss
- Secure, role-based access to data
- Access to data, notes, and file retention even after a lab member leaves
- Digital data storage, which—unlike paper—is ready for analysis
- Long-term cost savings
- Searchable, easy data retrieval
- Convenient organization and versioning of shared documents
How do I get started?
- First create an account by going to ern.umich.edu
- Click on "Create an Account." This will take you to the LabArchives website
- After account creation is complete, go back to ern.umich.edu to log in
The Electronic Research Notebook is managed by LabArchives and the HITS Research Engagement Team will assist you.