Support for personal devices at Michigan Medicine.
Windows Virtual Desktop
Our Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) service allows you to access the following from a personal Windows or Mac computer without requiring access to the VPN:
Michigan Medicine Email
Michigan Medicine Email can be accessed from any web browser by visiting email.med.umich.edu and authenticating with your Michigan Medicine password and Duo. Additionally, you can use our Windows Virtual Desktop service to access the full thick client for Outlook. For more detailed information on the ways to access our Michigan Medicine email on a personal computer please read our knowledge article on How to access your Michigan Medicine mailbox from a personally owned PC or Mac.
Supported Software and Services
Software and Services commonly supported by ITS include:
- UMICH Google Mail
- Level-1 (UMICH) Account Creation and Passwords
Support for Personal Computers
U-M's Tech Repair service can replace damaged components (e.g., screens, keyboards) and provide software support (e.g., Drivers, Updates, Virus Remediation).
The Michigan Medicine Help Center provides access to helpful resources and tools to help you stay connected. The HITS Service Desk provides support limited to the items listed in this guide when connecting to Michigan Medicine tools from your personal computer.
Request a Michigan Medicine managed device or work with your department to get access to a Michigan Medicine managed computer.
Support for Personal Printers
HITS does not support personal printers either at home or for use onsite at our Michigan Medicine buildings. We are unable to help you connect your computer to a personal printer. If you need to print while working remotely HITS can assist with configuring a HITS Managed computer with printing to a managed onsite printer. If you are using a HITS CoreImage PC or Kiosk PC, you can connect onsite printers to your device using our PrinterLogic application.
What is considered a ‘Michigan Medicine managed device?’
- Michigan Medicine owned and managed equipment (CoreImage, CoreMac)
- Grant owned equipment
- Request a Research Consultation for help
- Equipment reimbursed by Michigan Medicine (e.g., Macbook purchased from the U-M Tech Shop that was then reimbursed by departmental funds).
- NOTE: U-M does not allow for PCard purchases to pay for technology devices, including laptops, tablets, or cell phones (see SPG).
- HITS smartphones
- Personal smartphones managed by our mobile device management platform are considered fully managed by Michigan Medicine