Epic, the vendor of the MiChart software, is rolling out a new upgraded software platform. Sunday, July 9, Michigan Medicine will transition MiChart to this new platform.
The new platform brings benefits, including:
- Improved performance and response time
- Simplified technical processes during software upgrades
- Increased flexibility for software deployment
- More development options to improve functionality, visual appeal
While customers will not notice a difference in how they access MiChart, there will be some changes within the application.
Watch this short video (under 4 minutes) with key changes for the upgrade.
Key new features and updates
- The new User Identifier menu provides easy access to common user settings for adjusting the look and feel of MiChart.
- Relocation of the search bar under the Epic button with added basic math and unit conversion feature.
- The new Notification hub makes it easy to review and access In Basket, Secure Chat, and other system notifications.
- Improved patient lookup to cut down on click fatigue.
- Sticky notes now supports dot phrases and spell check.
- The Analytics Catalog replaces the Reporting Workbench Library and My Reports activity.
- On kiosk machines - MiChart will auto-launch at log-in but can then be closed if not in use.
- Due to the platform change, Activity Tab Customizations will be reset to defaults. If you have personalized the order of your tabs, you will need to add and reorder them according to your preferences after the upgrade. For details, see slide #11 of the MiChart Platform User Experience Labs Overview.
- Secure Chat will open from the Notification Center. For details, see slide #19 of the MiChart Platform User Experience Labs Overview.
- If customers in your area experience performance issues after the July 9 go live, please encourage the following:
- Submit a ticket through the Michigan Medicine Help Center
- Include the following information in your submission:
- Workstation device name.
- Is the customer on premise or remote?
- The exact time of the incident.
- Current activity/screen in MiChart.
- Are others experiencing the same issue?
- Are applications other than MiChart experiencing issues?
- All other MiChart Platform upgrade questions or related issues:
- For non-urgent issues, start at the Michigan Medicine Help Center (help.med.umich.edu/it) to chat with an agent (Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.) or submit a ticket.
- For critical issues, call the Service Desk at 734-936-8000
Training Materials - requires login to view MiChart information
User Experience Labs
Revenue Cycle Pre and Post Upgrade Labs
Learning and Performance Improvement will be offering Pre and Post upgrade labs for Revenue Cycle and non-revenue cycle users with billing related responsibilities. These open virtual sessions are scheduled for:
- Post Upgrade Labs: July 10-12
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
To be added to the Revenue Cycle Pre and Post Upgrade Lab email list, use the sign-up link below.
View the presentation shared during the Labs
Access the practice environment through Virtual Places
A practice environment featuring the changes coming in the MiChart Platform upgrade is available now to all. This is the same practice environment used for MiChart upgrades through Virtual Places. This will provide users a chance to experience the upgrade changes prior to the go-live on July 9.
Select the Epic MiChart Upgrade Practice Environment icon (image shown above).
NOTE: You will log in to Virtual Places with your Michigan Medicine (Level-2) uniqname and password, but you must use one of the training login IDs to log in to the practice environment.
Detailed instructions for accessing the practice environment, including login and patient information, can be found on the following links. Please note – you must log in to access the MiChart information.
Take the survey
After using the practice environment, please provide your feedback on what you see as big wins, challenges, or areas that might need extra clarification, including any issues you encountered by filling the survey. Your input will help us provide better communications and training materials.