Now through March 23, HITS is installing Microsoft’s Edge Chromium web browser on CoreImage Windows computers. Internet Explorer (IE) will continue as a standard option, and Google Chrome will still be available. Eventually, IE will be going away in favor of Edge Chromium. HITS strongly recommends that CoreImage Windows users make the switch to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of its many benefits, including:
- Enhanced security settings.
- Faster web page rendering.
- More protection against phishing and malware.
- Ability for users to have favorites (bookmarks) and extensions "follow" them to different Standard mode computers, whenever they're logged in.
When is it happening?
- Upgrades to non-Kiosk mode (single user) computers will continue through March 12.
- Upgrades to Kiosk mode (shared user) computers will continue through March 23.
What should users expect?
Once Edge Chromium is installed, users will experience a few changes when they log into Windows on a Standard Mode (non-Kiosk) CoreImage computer, depending on whether they:
- Are using a Standard mode or Kiosk device.
- Have previously logged into that computer, or are logging in for the first time.
Full details below: