Late last year, Michigan Medicine completed the rollout of the Microsoft 365 productivity suite, including Microsoft Teams – which is now our organization’s preferred tool for business (non patient-related) chat.
As a result, Skype for Business (including Persistent Chat groups) will be retired on March 31.
In conjunction, HITS will soon update many Michigan Medicine Windows computers to align available tools, improve functionality, and provide a more consistent user experience across our computing environment.
Some changes you can expect to see:
Windows Standard/Flex DESKTOP Computers
- Folder backups to OneDrive: (These changes may happen anytime between March 1–25)
- Various folders (such as Desktop and Pictures) will be automatically backed up to OneDrive, after which they’ll be available whenever you log in to M365.
- Note: This change has already been applied to Windows LAPTOPS.
- Start Menu (These changes may happen anytime between March 28–April 1)
- Skype for Business will be removed from both the device and the Start Menu.
- File Explorer will be replaced with OneDrive in the Start Menu.
- File Explorer will still be available below, in the Taskbar.
Example: CURRENT Start Menu with Skype for Business and File Explorer
(Current) Start Menu with Skype for Business and File Explorer
Example: NEW Start Menu with Microsoft Teams and OneDrive Added
(New) Start Menu with Microsoft Teams and OneDrive
Still not seeing Teams after the upgrade? Try this ...
- Office Upgrade/Start Menu changes (These changes may happen anytime between March 29–April 5)
- Office 2016 will be upgraded to Office 2021.
- Skype for Business will be removed from the device and the Start Menu.
- “OWA” (Outlook Web Access) icon will be replaced with the Outlook icon, which will now open automatically in Microsoft Edge.
Example: CURRENT Kiosk Start Menu Configuration
(Current) Kiosk Start Menu Configuration
Example: NEW Kiosk Start Menu Configuration
(New) Kiosk Start Menu Configuration
Following the upgrade, if you don't see the updated icons:
Please note: After a Kiosk computer has been updated, you may not immediately see the updated icon layout. If this happens, you may need to run "Workstation Cleanup" – the first time only – after which the new icon layout should appear whenever the device is used.
Example: Office 2016 Ribbon
Example of Office 2016 Ribbon
Example: Office 2021 Ribbon
Example of Office 2021 Ribbon