Zoom at U-M is a secure, HIPAA-aligned video conferencing platform for the U-M community.
Log in at umich.zoom.us.
- For your initial log in, use the ‘SSO’ (single sign-on) option, and enter the domain 'umich'. When prompted enter your UMICH (Level-1) credentials.
Download the desktop and mobile apps
- CoreImage PCs have the Zoom desktop app already installed.
- Core Macs and all other devices should visit zoom.us/download to get the desktop and mobile apps.
Zoom offers high-quality video, audio, and wireless screen-sharing across Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Zoom Rooms, and H.323/SIP room systems. Meetings with PHI should always be secured to avoid crashers, and follow the sensitive information guidelines. Zoom is available for:
- patient/provider meetings
- medical center meetings
- research collaboration with PHI
- online learning and more
A series of custom Michigan Medicine Zoom backgrounds is available for you to download and use during video visits, online meetings, and virtual classes. To use a custom Zoom background:
- Download the image(s) you'd like to use and save it to your desired location (desktop, downloads, a folder, etc.)
- Open or launch a Zoom meeting
- Click the up arrow next to "Stop Video" and select "Choose Virtual Background"
- Click the "+" next to Choose Virtual Background to upload your image and set your background
- Uncheck the "Mirror my video" option under Video Settings
- Schedule Zoom meetings directly in Outlook
- Get encrypted video conferencing to meet with colleagues inside or outside University of Michigan. Approved for use with HIPAA data and PHI
- Interact with users through polling, chat, raise hand functionality, and breakout rooms
- Customize your profile
- Record meetings to your local hard drive from your desktop app
- Use accessibility options
Can I schedule Zoom meetings in Outlook?
Yes! From a Core Windows computer look for the Zoom icon in the top ribbon above your calendar, with the options to start or schedule a Zoom meeting, as well as schedule a meeting for others. Watch this video to learn how to schedule a Zoom meeting in Outlook.
Core Macs and users on personal machines can independently download the Outlook plug-in at zoom.us/download. Note that Zoom has two options, a plug-in and an add-in. Michigan Medicine users should select the plug-in to be compatible with Microsoft Exchange. The add-in is for use with Microsoft 365. While Zoom’s website states that support will eventually cease for the plug-in, this date continues to be pushed back. HITS will continue monitoring the situation.