The Michigan Medicine community will soon be able to begin exploring the benefits of Microsoft 365 (M365), a product suite that brings together many of Microsoft’s most popular tools – in a new, better, and more powerful way.
Combining the best of desktop, web, and mobile applications, M365 will enable users to collaborate in real-time, with anyone in Michigan Medicine from nearly anywhere, on virtually any device.
Once fully implemented, M365 will provide Michigan Medicine faculty, staff, and learners with a unified, streamlined experience that promotes productivity and collaboration, and helps people get things done!
M365 is rolling out in stages, so users can expect to see greater benefits as items are added over time:
- SharePoint Online: Provides a rich, cloud-based experience specifically designed to work seamlessly with other M365 products. It also includes tools that make building and managing “team” and “communication” sites easier than ever before.
- (June 2021) Office 365 + OneDrive: Office 365 offers many of the most popular Microsoft tools (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook), and bundles them with OneDrive, to make them more powerful, collaborative, and mobile-friendly.
- (Aug.– Nov. 2021) Outlook in the cloud + mobile device management upgrade: Email, calendars, and contacts will move to the cloud. Meanwhile, Intelligent Hub will be replaced by an improved mobile device management system that lets users to take full advantage of M365 features on mobile devices.
- Microsoft Teams: Teams is a single, customizable “portal” that integrates multiple M365 tools to streamline work, enabling users to easily access files, chat with coworkers, have meetings, and more – all in one place. (Teams will replace Skype for Business.)
- Additional M365 applications and integrations: Over time, HITS will enable additional features to make the M365 experience even better! These include Microsoft-supported tools and applications specifically designed to leverage the platform’s cloud capabilities such as Planner and Lists; as well as integrations with popular non-Microsoft products – helping users harness the benefits of these tools as never before.
Today, both how and where many people work are rapidly evolving – along with their technology needs. That’s why HITS is working to develop and support a robust M365 environment that will benefit Michigan Medicine by:
- Enabling efforts to improve communication, productivity, and collaboration in support of the core value of Teamwork.
- Connecting colleagues and collaborators more deeply, through enhanced technologies and modern digital processes.
- Increasing opportunities to consistently respond to individual, team, and organizational needs, in the context of the modern workplace.
Stay tuned to Michigan Medicine Headlines for more details, including when new features and capabilities will become available, and how to get prepared as each phase of M365 goes live!
Want to learn more?