Technology is integral to Michigan Medicine, and we look forward to supporting you. Whether you’re working on a HITS-configured Core workstation or a personal device, here is an overview of the essentials you will need to get started.
Michigan Medicine is entrusted with many types of sensitive data across our missions everyday. Set up your security accounts to access email, WiFi, and much more.
UMICH (Level-1) and Michigan Medicine (Level-2) Credentials
As a member of Michigan Medicine and the wider University of Michigan community you have two credentials, known as your UMICH (level-1) and Michigan Medicine (level-2) logins. Your user ID for both is your assigned U-M uniqname and each uses a separate password.
- Level-1 credentials access university-wide resources, like Wolverine Access, VPN, Box, Zoom, Google Drive, and Canvas. You can reset or change your level-1 password at password.it.umich.edu
- Level-2 credentials access Michigan Medicine-specific resources, like workstations, MiChart, drives and printers, Outlook, or the HITS Service Portal. You can set up, reset, or change your passwords at lvl2.med.umich.edu
To set up your passwords, refer to the notices HITS sent to your personal email account prior to your start date.
- Email Address: Your uniqname serves as your email address: email@example.com
- Note that all ‘@med.umich.edu’ email users also have a ‘@umich.edu’ address. Email to your @med.umich.edu and your @umich.edu addresses goes to the same Exchange mailbox
- Using your @umich.edu address is required to access Microsoft Office and Google Drive
Duo Two-Factor Authentication
Duo provides a second identity verification beyond your username and password. It works by sending automatic notifications to your smartphone, smartwatch, hardware token, or landline to confirm your login to email, VPN, and more. You may download Duo on more than one device so it’s always accessible.
Set up Duo:
- Download Duo from your app store
- On a computer, visit duo.it.umich.edu and follow the setup prompts
- Note: you MUST set up Duo before using Intelligent Hub
Intelligent Hub encrypts data and automates security settings on personal mobile devices. It provides access to secure Michigan Medicine resources including email, wireless networks, MiChart, and more. Per U-M policy, Intelligent Hub does NOT track personal data or location.
Set up Intelligent Hub:
- Download the app from your app store
- Head to KnowledgeBase for setup instructions
Protect yourself and Michigan Medicine while online. Safe Computing provides information and learning opportunities to safely navigate online. Get information about IT security policies, phishing, passwords, event publications, and more.
Once you have set up Duo and Intelligent Hub, you’re ready to connect to WiFi. When offsite, use VPN on your computer to access Michigan Medicine resources like email and file drives.
After you set up Duo and Intelligent Hub, you’re ready to connect to WiFi.
UMHS-8021X: the preferred wireless network for employees accessing Michigan Medicine systems and data from personal computers and mobile devices (access requires Intelligent Hub)
MFleet: the default network for HITS Core devices to access Michigan Medicine resources
MWireless-UMHS and eduroam: available in non-clinical areas. Does not require Intelligent Hub. Log in with your Level-1 (UMICH) credentials
MGuest-UMHS: For patients and visitors only. No access to Michigan Medicine resources
VPN: Cisco AnyConnect
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is required to access secure Michigan Medicine resources offsite, including email, shared drives, and internal websites. To login:
Many applications will be essential to your daily work. Read on for an overview on connecting to email, file storage and sharing options, video conferencing tools, and productivity and learning apps.
Michigan Medicine uses Microsoft Outlook Exchange for email, calendaring, contact lists, and task management. Your email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Access your email using the following options:
On your computer: launch the Outlook app. If offsite, use VPN to connect or the web login.
On the web: Visit email.med.umich.edu – enter your level-2 login and provide Duo approval.
On your phone: Access Outlook using your native ‘mail’ app or VMBoxer, do not use the Outlook app. Requires Intelligent Hub.
Note: Use Outlook to safeguard PHI and other sensitive information. Your @med.umich.edu email address provides encryption for outgoing messages. To encrypt PHI or sensitive information and attachments, add [SECURE], with square brackets, to your subject line.
Storage and File Sharing
Michigan Medicine has several options for file storage, sharing and collaboration. The tools you will use will likely depend on your team, department or program.
- U-M Box: a secure, cloud-based file sharing and storage platform, safe for PHI with setup. Access with your level-1 login.
- Dropbox at U-M: another secure, cloud-based file sharing and storage option, safe for PHI. Access with your level-1 login.
- Google Drive: a cloud-based file storage and collaboration platform, integrating tools like Google Docs, Sheets and Slides. Access with your level-1 login and your @umich.edu email. NOT safe for PHI.
- Shared Drives: CoreFS and Maize are shared network drives used for data storage at Michigan Medicine. Core File Storage (CoreFS) is the most common, used on HITS Core devices and accessed through three drive letters: H, S, and T. The H: (Home) drive is designated for personal work-related files. The S: and T: drives are designated for work-related data shared among people in the department/unit.
- MiShare: a HIPAA-compliant data transfer service used to send information to external collaborators. It works similarly to sending an email with an attachment. To connect, visit mishare.med.umich.edu, and login with level-2 credentials.
Michigan Medicine offers several video conferencing platforms with live video, audio, screen share, breakout rooms, meeting recordings, and more. Options listed below are safe to use with PHI.
- Zoom: use with up to 300 people. Click here for more information and training resources.
- To connect, open or download the Zoom app, sign in with SSO and enter the domain ‘umich’. When prompted login with level-1 credentials.
- BlueJeans: use with up to 200 people. Can also be used for Remote Office Hours through the app. Click here for more information and training resources.
- To connect, open or download the BlueJeans app and login with level-1 credentials.
- Skype for Business: Integrated with Exchange to easily schedule and join meetings, and features instant messaging.
- To connect, open or download the Skype for Business app and login with level-2 credentials.
Get Microsoft Office 365 through U-M on a personal device. Access with your @umich.edu email and level-1 credentials.
Adobe Creative Cloud
Get Adobe Creative Cloud through U-M, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and more. Request access from HITS, and once granted login to the Adobe Creative Cloud app with level-2 credentials.
Research Applications and Data Services
Medical Education Applications
Medical students leverage multiple applications for learning, lectures and exams, with Canvas serving as the hub. Learn more about specific apps used in the M1 year and beyond.
MiChart is Michigan Medicine’s patient-centric electronic health record (EHR), based on the Epic platform. Learn how to get access to MiChart and clinical reference apps.
MiChart is Michigan Medicine’s fully integrated, patient-centric electronic health record (EHR) system, based on the Epic platform. All clinicians will work with their team or department for the appropriate training and access to MiChart.
Haiku is the Epic smartphone app for MiChart, supported on iOS and Android. Canto is the Epic tablet app, for iPads only. Use of these apps requires Intelligent Hub.
Clinical Apps Bundle
U-M also offers clinical resource apps for mobile devices with Intelligent Hub.
Note that passwords for these apps are not tied to your level-1 or -2 credentials. If you have issues with your account you’ll need to work with the application's support team directly.
Online learning platforms allow Michigan Medicine users to register for classes, complete online courses, view transcripts, and more.
The university's learning management system. See class schedules and calendars, resources needed to complete assignments, and announcements.
Michigan Medicine’s learning management system to complete mandatories and take educational courses. Log in with level-2 credentials.
The university’s web-based learning center that offers learning activities to support operational users, compliance requirements, and professional development. Log in with level-1 credentials.
Advance your career through on-demand courses designed to build new skills related to business, software, technology and design.
Further your learning by taking individual courses or earning an online degree from U-M. Sign up and log in with level-1 credentials.